How does the commander determine what’s improper?
- JAs must cultivate the idea that commanders should consult with OSJA.
- Use common sense. “The leader must be counted on to use good judgment, experience, and discretion. . . .
- Keep an open mind. Don’t prejudge every male/female relationship. Relationships between males of different rank or between females of different Improper Superior-Subordinate Relationships & Fraternization (ISSRFRT) rank can be as inappropriate as male/female relations.[J]udge the results of the relationships and not the relationships themselves.DA Pam 600-35.
- Additional scrutiny should be given to relationships involving (1) direct command/supervisory authority, or (2) power to influence personnel or disciplinary actions.[A]uthority or influence . . . is central to any discussion of the propriety of a particular relationship.DA Pam 600-35. These relationships are most likely to generate adverse effects.
- Be wary that can be as damaging to morale and discipline as actual wrongdoing.