Summary of the Process
A summary of the process:
Trial counsel (TC) coordinates with unit before trial to coordinate transportation to confinement facility.
- Sentence is announced and the court is adjourned.
- Trial counsel prepares report of result of trial, confinement order.
- Request for deferment of confinement, if any.
- Request for deferment of reduction, if any.
- Request for deferment and/or waiver of forfeitures, if any.
- Exhibits accounted for and reproduced.
- Post-trial sessions, if any.
- Record of trial (ROT) created, reproduced.
- Trial counsel / defense counsel (DC) review ROT for errata.
- Military judge (MJ) authenticates ROT (or substitute authentication if required).
- Staff Judge Advocate (SJA) signs the Staff Judge Advocate’s Recommendation (SJAR).
- SJAR and authenticated ROT served on accused / DC. N. Accused / DC submits clemency petition (RCM 1105 matters) and response to SJAR (RCM 1106 matters) – often done simultaneously.
- SJA signs addendum. P. Addendum served on DC and accused if contains “new matter.”
- CA considers DC / accused submissions, takes initial action.
- Promulgating order signed.
- Record reproduced and mailed.
- Appellate review.
- Final action.