Can Article 15 Authority Be Limited? Yes
- Permissible limitations. AR 27-10, para. 3-4c.
- Superior commander may totally withhold.
- Superior commander may partially withhold (e.g., over categories of personnel, offenses, or individual cases). (1) No requirement that limitations be written but probably a good idea (e.g., write a memorandum or publish in post regulation).
- Impermissible limitations. MCM pt. V, para. 1d(2); AR 27-10, para. 3-4b.
- Superior commander cannot direct a subordinate commander to impose an Article 15. Nonjudicial Punishment (NJP)
- Superior commander cannot issue regulations, orders, or “guides” that either directly or indirectly suggest to subordinate commanders that — (1) Certain categories of offenders or offenses are to be disposed of under Article 15. (2) Predetermined kinds or amounts of punishment are to be imposed for certain categories of offenders or offenses.