Manual for Courts-Martial, United States (2012 ed.).
- TM 8-240, Military Mental Health Law (29 Sept. 1992).
- Major Timothy P. Hayes, Jr., Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder on Trial , 190-191 Mil L. Rev.67 (2007).
- Major Jeremy Ball, Solving the Mystery of Insanity Law: Zealous Representation of MentallyIll Servicmembers , Army Law., Dec. 2005, at 1.
- Captain Charles Trant, The American Military Insanity Defense: A Moral, Philosophical,and Legal Dilemma , 99 Mil. L. Rev. 1 (1983).
- Major Rita Caroll, Insanity Defense Reform , 114 Mil. L. Rev. 183 (1986).
- Lieutenant Colonel Donna M. Wright, “Though this be madness, yet there is some method init”: A Practitioners Guide to Mental Responsibility and Competency to Stand Trial , Army Law., Sep. 1997, at 18.
- Major Jeff Bovarnick and Captain Jackie Thompson, Trying to Remain Sane Trying anInsanity Case: United States v. Captain Thomas S. Payne , Army Law., June 2002 at 13