- All Soldiers who are identified as illegally abusing drugs will be processed for administrative separation. AR 600-85, para. 10-6. Mandatory processing does not mean mandatory separation. Commander may recommend retention if warranted
- Rules at administrative separations are simpler than at a courts-martial. See U.S. Dep’t of Army, Reg. 15-6, Procedures for Investigating Officers and Boards of Officers (2 Oct. 2006) [hereinafter AR 15-6].
- Military Rules of Evidence do not apply. AR 15-6, para. 3-7a.
- Burden of proof is a preponderance of the evidence. AR 15-6, para. 3-10b.
- Reservists. Reservists may be separated for drugs even though use did not occur
while on federal duty. See U.S. Dep’t of Army, Reg. 135-178, Enlisted
Administrative Separations (13 Mar. 2007) (Rapid Action Revision, 13 Sept.
2011) and U.S. Dep’t of Army, Reg. 135-175, Separation of Officers (28 Feb.
1987) (Rapid Action Revision, 4 Aug. 2011).