General Findings in the Military – RCM 918(a)
- Guilty by Exceptions (with or without substitutions);
- Guilty of Lesser Included Offense (LIO).
- RCM 918(a)(1) permits a plea of “not guilty to an offense as charged, but guilty of a named lesser included offense.” What constitutes a “named lesser included offense” and whether this rule can be reliably applied is questionable in light of United States v. Jones, 68 M.J. 465 (C.A.A.F. 2010).
- When plea to an LIO is entered, defense counsel should provide a written revised specification. Revised specification should be an appellate exhibit.
- Not Guilty Only by Reason of Lack of Mental Responsibility.