Michael Stewart Waddington – Partner
Michael Waddington is a criminal defense lawyer and best-selling author that defends cases in military courts worldwide. He also defends military personnel that are under investigation and have not yet been charged. He specializes in defending serious criminal cases including sex crimes, war crimes, violent crimes and white collar crimes.
He has been reported on and quoted by hundreds of major media sources worldwide and has provided consultation services to CNN Investigative Reports, 60 Minutes, Katie Couric, ABC Nightline, the BBC, German Public Television, CNN, CBS, the 2010-2012 Golden Globe winning TV series “The Good Wife” and other various international media outlets.
He is the author of the bestselling book, The Art of Trial Warfare: Winning at Trial Using Sun Tzu’s The Art of War. (Click here to view the book on Amazon). In 2016, he published Trial Warrior’s Book of Wisdom: A Compilation of Quotes for Success in Law and Life, an Amazon bestseller.
Mr. Waddington is a co-author of the book, Pattern Cross-Examination for Sexual Assault Cases: A Trial Strategy & Resource Guide (Click here to view the book), published by the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers (NACDL), the preeminent organization in the United States advancing the mission of the nation’s criminal defense lawyers to ensure justice and due process for persons accused of crime or other misconduct.
Mr. Waddington teaches trial advocacy across the United States. At the 2017 National Trial Lawyers Summit, Mr. Waddington shared the stage with legendary attorneys F. Lee Bailey (one of OJ Simpson’s lawyers), Mark Geragos (who defended Michael Jackson, Chris Brown, and other celebrities), and Mark O’Mara (George Zimmerman’s lawyer), to teach cutting edge trial techniques to attorneys from across the USA. In 2016, Mr. Waddington also lectured at the prestigious Trial Lawyers Summit.
Waddington gave two lectures at the NACDL’s 2017 National Sex Crime Conference in Las Vegas, NV. One of his lectures, Defending a Military Client Charged With Sexual Assault, was tailored to winning sex crime cases in military courts.
Waddington was a featured speaker at the 2017 NACDL Forensic Science Conference in Las Vegas. His topic, Using Forensic Science to Create Reasonable Doubt in Sexual Assault Cases, focused on impeaching rogue sex assault examiners (SANEs & SAFEs) using cutting-edge research and medical textbooks. He also taught techniques to expose forensic psychologists and psychiatrists that testify about junk science, such as “Counterintuitive Victim Behavior” and “Tonic Immobility.”
He appeared in a major CNN Documentary, “Killings at the Canal” and some of his cases have been the subject of books and movies, including the Academy Award Winning Documentary “Taxi to the Dark Side” (view trailer), the 2013 documentary, “The Kill Team,” the books “The ‘Good Soldier’ on Trial,” and Brian De Palma’s “Redacted,” (De Palma also directed “Scarface” and “Carlito’s Way”).
He is a Life Member of the NACDL and a Fellow of the American Board of Criminal Lawyers (ABCL), the most prestigious group of high-profile criminal lawyers in the world. The ABCL is the equivalent of the “NFL Hall of Fame,” but for criminal lawyers. Requirements for admission include having at least ten (10) years of criminal trial experience. Attorneys must have tried at least fifty (50) major felony cases to verdict and win at least thirty-five (35), at least five (5) of which being capital or life sentence cases. WATCH THIS VIDEO TO LEARN MORE.
FELLOW – AMERICAN BOARD OF CRIMINAL LAWYERS (less than .004% of US criminal lawyers receive this honor)
VOTED SUPER LAWYERS – GEORGIA
VOTED 2013-2017 TOP 100 TRIAL LAWYERS IN THE USA – The National Trial Lawyers Association
RATED by AVVO.com – 10.0 SUPERB
From 2013-2017, Mr. Waddington wrote chapters in the American Bar Association (ABA) books, “The State of Criminal Justice.” This annual publication examines major issues, trends and significant changes in the criminal justice system and is one of the cornerstones of the ABA’s Criminal Justice Section’s work. This publication serves as an invaluable resource for policy-makers, academics, and students of the criminal justice system.
In June 2007, Mr. Waddington was selected to write an article on Court Martials and military law for the New Jersey State Bar Magazine, in the magazine’s first-ever edition focusing on Military Law and issues relevant to military personnel and veterans. This journal is the leading legal news magazine for New Jersey lawyers, judges, and lawmakers.
Mr. Waddington has lectured on various aspects of military law and the trial tactics. In July 2013, he taught a nationwide course for lawyers call “Dealing With the Media: Protecting the Rights to a Fair Trial”.
Mr. Waddington provides criminal defense & trial consultation services in serious cases worldwide. In the summer of 2008, he acted as the chief trial consultant and legal strategist for 3 Israeli clients charged in Tokyo, Japan in the largest drug importation case in Japanese history. He also represents and advises American contracting companies that support the U.S. military overseas regarding criminal prosecutions, investigations and UCMJ actions.
Background and Education
Mr. Michael Waddington was born in New Castle, PA. He graduated Magna Cum Laude from Duquesne University in Pittsburgh, PA with a BA degree. He earned his law degree from Temple University School of Law in Philadelphia, PA.
At Temple, he successfully completed with honors Temple’s Nationally #1 Ranked Trial Lawyer Training Program (U.S. News and World Report).
Before entering private practice, Mr. Waddington served two tours as an Army defense lawyer, worked as a Special Assistant United States Attorney, and as an Army Chief of Military Justice. He enlisted in 1993 and served as an Army soldier prior to being commissioned as an Army officer in 1997.
- Defended military personnel from E-1 to E-9 and WO1 to O-6 at court martials, Article 32s, pretrial confinement hearings, NJP, and separation boards.
- Successfully defended service members of murder, drug offenses, detainee abuse, maltreatment, attempted murder, rape, sexual crimes, child abuse, trainee abuse, maiming, aggravated assault, larceny, financial crimes, computer crimes, white collar crime, and various other crimes.
- Represented over 400 soldiers that were being administratively discharged from the military.
- Former Army JAG officer.
- Served two tours as an Army defense lawyer. Headed a Trial Defense Service (TDS) branch office as the Senior Defense Counsel.
- Former Special Assistant United States Attorney. Prosecuted cases in Federal Court. Worked with the FBI, ATF, DEA, Secret Service, and U.S. Marshall’s Service.
- Former Chief of Military Justice.
- Received the Award for Excellence in Advocacy, U.S. Army JAG Corps Criminal Law Advocacy Course.
- Enlisted in the Army out of high school and rose to the rank of CPT.
Professional Licenses & Memberships
Michael Waddington is admitted to practice before the following courts:
- All Military Trial Courts Worldwide
- South Carolina
- New Jersey
- American Board of Criminal Lawyers
- Lifetime Member – National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers (NACDL)
- National Trial Lawyers
- American Bar Association
Areas of Practice
- Michael Waddington is a trial lawyer that primarily practices in the area of criminal defense and court martial defense.
Temple University School of Law, Philadelphia, PA
- Juris Doctor, May 2000
- Completed, with honors, Temple’s #1 Ranked Trial Advocacy Program (U.S. News and World Report)
- Law Journal Editor: Temple Environmental Law & Technology Journal, 1998-2000
Duquesne University, Pittsburgh, PA
- BA, Honors: Magna Cum Laude
- Dean’s List 8 Consecutive Semesters
- Army ROTC Scholarship Recipient, Distinguished Military Graduate, Battalion Commander
- Study Aboard: Universidad de Alicante, Alicante, Spain
- Using Forensic Science to Create Reasonable Doubt in Sexual Assault Cases – 2017 NACDL Forensic Science Conference, Las Vegas, NV.
- The Trial Warrior’s Journey – 2017 Trial Lawyers Summit – Miami Beach, FL.
- Selecting Diverse Juries Without Building Walls – 2017 Trial Lawyers Summit – Miami Beach, FL.
- The Art of Trial Warfare: Winning at Trial Using Sun Tzu’s The Art of War – 2016 Trial Lawyers Summit – Miami Beach, FL.
- “Attacking Witness Credibility & Rules of Evidence,” Military Defense Conference, Charleston, SC, Spring 2006
- “Witness Impeachment,”Military Defense Conference, Orlando, FL, Spring 2004
- “Urinalysis Defense,” Military Defense Conference, Washington, DC, Fall 2003
- Instructor, Numerous Federal Law Enforcement Seminars, Fort Gordon, GA, June 2004-July 2005
- Michael Waddington speaks Spanish and English. He has lived and studied in Spain, worked in Puerto Rico, and frequently travels to Puerto Rico on business and vacation.